According to John C. Maxwell, there are five stages of ‘leadership’, and each one of us progresses through them, in this order, on a successful and meaningful journey as a leader:
1. Positional. People follow you because they have to, because you have the title, and authority. This is where you start, and most of us will fail, thinking authority is power.
2. Permissional. People follow you because they want to, because of your relationship with them. This is the ‘soft skills’ stage.
3. Production. People follow you because of your achievements for the organization. This is the ‘hard’ skills stage.
4. People development. People follow you because of what you are doing for them; because they are more than just replaceable employees to you; because you ‘care’ for their ambitions, their values, their concerns. Most great leaders reach this stage and cruise in glory thereon for the rest of their career.
5. Pinnacle. People follow you because of who you are, and what you represent. This is the ultimate station beyond which you only have ‘nirvana’ left to experience:-) Rarely does a leader ever reach this stage.
So, what is your magic like? What stage are you on? Share away in the comments below:-)